Wednesday, March 9, 2011

They're on to us......

They're on to us. Students have called out "B.S." when it comes to practical testing. And, I agree with them.

Practical testing has been a mainstay in EMS since the first curriculum was established more than 40 years ago. It is time for practical testing to die; at least in its current format.

I've always felt a bit insulted when I had to send my EMT and paramedic students to a state sponsored practical test site administered by emergency medical technicians that barely had more experience than my students; some, I believe, actually had LESS experience than my students.

Practical tests for EMS have but one purpose: HOOP JUMPING.

If a student is ready, they're ready. The instructor should be able to determine this without the interference of a test site that requires a student to state, "BSI, is the scene safe?".

No comments:

Post a Comment