Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What's a Sherman Sermon?

I have absolutely no idea where or when I started writing Sherman Sermons. You'd have to ask the dedicated EMS Educators that I work with everyday at the Emergency Medical Education Center at F-M Ambulance Service in Fargo, North Dakota; they might have an idea.....Lord knows they've read and heard enough of them!

I have always loved reading and writing. When I was a pre-teen, I frequently wrote short stories accompanied by some disturbing illustrations to compliment them in the form of crude comic books. I am fairly certain that, by today's standards, I would have been a candidate for some type of medication or at the very least a counseling session or two. But, alas, I digress.

I feel, for the first time in my life, that I have a message that I need to share. I have now spent over 20 years in the field of emergency medical services (EMS). I have been an EMS Educator fore more than 17 years. I have experience as a flight paramedic, ground paramedic, EMT, first responder, father, volunteer, center fielder and funeral director (no joke). I have a Bachelor's degree in Mortuary Science from the University of Minnesota (go Gophers) and I'm currently in the middle of completing a Master's degree in Instructional Design & Technology from the University of North Dakota (go Sioux). I disclose these things not because I feel the need to be boastful. On the contrary, you'll never convince me that putting letters after a person's name makes them more important, smarter, or somehow better than those who have chosen a different path. But within the mixes of human personalities, I understand that some of you will not take me seriously if the credentials are lacking.

Sherman Sermons have no political affiliation or standing agenda. They are not meant as self-promoting. They are my opinions, my experiences, and my loves. Furthermore, I'm not ashamed to state that as I muddle through life it is entirely possible that my opinions, experiences, and loves may adjust or change when new or updated information flows into my brain (I know, this is radical thinking for some). I prefer to use reason when I consider issues (unlike the politicians who inhabit Washington, D.C.). Sherman Sermons are not meant to be insulting or mean-spirited, but if you want a blog that pulls punches in order to "please" the masses, this may not be for you. I am not here to make, nor am I here to lose friends over opinions. As I said earlier, I feel I have something to share and I plan on doing just that.

The main focus of my commentary will be related to EMS education and associated topical drivel.

Please enjoy. I hope that what I share with you is worthy of your time.

--Sherm

No comments:

Post a Comment